Blog Banner

Blog Banner

Tuesday, January 13, 2015


A POST TO FARRAH'S FANS

Initially I admit I had reservations about establishing a gofundme site for Farrah and Sinead’s 2015  Campaign.  It doesn’t seem like asking people for money to help Farrah get to shows and compete in them is worthy of a gofundme campaign.  There are so many other causes that are clearly of great importance:  people’s health and necessities should absolutely come first.  However, in speaking with a friend, she mentioned that other athletes, and specifically eventers, also had the same reservations.  A few went forward and set up gofundme sites for their needs:  one to get his horses across the US to compete at Fair Hill in 2014, another to ship an aged mount they had lost track of back home for retirement.  Each of these endeavors was successful and I think the equestrian community, and specifically eventers, are quite supportive and close knit.

Sinead and I tossed some ideas around and have since launched Farrah’s Campaign, you can find it on www.gofundme.com/helpfundfarrah.    Instead of simply asking for help with no return, I started canvasing my friends and fellow equestrians for donations of auction items.  At least if you receive something in return for your generosity, I will feel less like I am begging for handouts!  I know it is a privilege to own a pony that competes at the upper levels, and it is unfortunate that I don’t have the financial means to get her to Advanced on my own.  I am so incredibly grateful for the support from Farrah’s Fans (Facebook and in the flesh) and the generosity of other professionals within the eventing and pony communities.

So far, we have had three pony stallion owners offer to donate breedings to their pony stallions for auction, of which one stallion owner offered five!!  This stallion, the New Forest Pony Stallion, Carlo, is Farrah’s grandsire and stands in The Netherlands.  He is only available to European breeders and fans, but their generosity is incredible.  Carlo stands at Hengstenhouderij Reilink.  Winners of the auction can breed their own little Farrah’s!   My good friends at Elderglen Farm offered their Connemara Stallion, WH Topgun, because they thought maybe my Connemara friends would want to help and they are correct!  Topgun’s breeding has already been claimed.  We still have two North American breedings to auction, to the incredible Trevelyan Farm New Forest Pony Stallion, Wickedcourt Jester.  Trevelyan Farm bred Farrah and are so excited to see her at this level of competition.  It amazes me that these breeders will stand behind my pony, OUR pony, Farrah, to keep her competing with the incredibly talented Sinead Halpin.

Other professionals have jumped onboard:  Sinead’s husband Tik Maynard donated a lesson to auction, my own trainer Ashley Leith offered up two lessons to auction and Hilda Donahue offered to teach a clinic at my farm in March with half the proceeds going to Farrah’s campaign!  We have been offered art to auction, jewelry and necessities like Point Two replacement canisters!  Awesome photographer Valerie Durbon sent us pictures worthy of signatures and framing, and Sinead is offering a cross country course walk.  I am offering free schooling show vouchers for local fans, and more offers are coming in.  I have to update almost daily from the new offerings.  To follow the Facebook auctions, please visit Farrah's Facebook Page:  Forrest Nymph.  

I am so proud to belong to the eventing community and Sinead and Farrah and I thank you so much for your continued support as they work this spring to solidify their partnership and take on Eventing at the Advanced Level.

Humbly yours,

Beth Davidson

No comments:

Post a Comment